Kagoshima, a seaside city on Japan’s Kyushu Island, is the capital of Kagoshima Prefecture. It’s best known for Sakurajima, an active volcano that faces Kinko Bay. In kagoshima there is a very unique open-air museum that we called it as Kirishima – Open Air Museum.
In 2000, Kirishima Open Air Museum opened in Yūsui, Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan. Located in the foothills of Mount Kirishima, at an elevation of seven hundred metres above sea level, the Museum encompasses an area of 20 hectares.
The museum is known for its open-air area but also consists of an art hall which exhibits a large collection of works by both Japanese and international artists. It’s divided by 2 spaces. Indoor and outdoor.
Located on top of Kirishima National Park is this fantastic museum dedicated to great contemporary art. You need a car to get there or take a tour but worth the trip. The exhibition hall has exhibits that rotate and outside has grand installations.
Visitors can enjoy walking while experiencing beautiful outdoor arts. While indoor spaces are for Art Hall and the Open-Air area. The grounds are dotted with works by 23 artists. All were created especially for the museum after the artists visited the site.
You can start exploring the outdoor area first. At the entrance, you’ll be greeted by Yayoi Kusama’s magnificent Flowers of Shangri-La.
In the centre of the outdoor area, you’ll find Jonathan Borofsky’s giant Man and Woman spreading its arms.
Once finishing sightseeing outdoor arts, it’s time to head indoors. The Art Hall has displayed a selection of works from the museum’s collection of over 40 pieces by modern art masters such as James Turrell, Takashi Murakami, and Yoko Ono. The pieces on display are changed three to four times a year.
After enjoying some art, you can enjoy your coffee at a coffee shop nearby. Then, we recommend going back outside for another walk once you’ve finished your coffee.
This is the price for entrance fee by categories:
Access to Kirishima – Open Air Museum
- Kagoshima Airport is a 115 minute flight from Haneda Airport.
- Kagoshima Airport is a 75 minute flight from Osaka International Airport.
- Kagoshima Airport is a 95 minute flight from Chubu Centrair International Airport.
- Kagoshima Airport is a 75 minute flight from Naha Airport.
- Iki’iki Center Kuri-no-Sato is about a 30 minute airport limousine bus ride from Kagoshima Airport.
- Kirishima Open-Air Museum is about a 35 minute municipal bus ride from Iki’iki Center Kuri-no-Sato.
If you are interested to visit, kindly refer this information :
Address : 6340-220 Koba, Yusui-cho, Aira-gun, Kagoshima-ken
Contact : 0995−74−5945
Business Hour : 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.(last admission 4:30 P.M.);
Summer until 7:00 P.M. (last admission 6:30 P.M.)
Photo Credits: Kirishima Open Air Museum Official Website
Follow us @his.malaysia to explore more on Japan travel!
- Best Waterfall in Kagoshima: Ogawa Waterfall (Ogawa-No- Taki-Waterfall) - February 28, 2021
- 6 Online Business Ideas You Can Start Today – New Opportunity Awaits! - February 25, 2021
- Kirishima : Kagoshima Open Air Museum - November 23, 2020
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!
10 Basic Diving Hand Signals – Diving Survival
Communication is a form of interaction involved in our daily life. It helps us to better understand each other. That…
3 Netflix Japan Travel Documentary & Film – Save it for this MCO
Pasti ada yang merindui ingin kembali semula ke Jepun untuk merasa keindahan panorama Sapporo , ingin ‘immerse’ dengan kebudayaan moden…