The middle of July, when you can feel the summer. Rokugatsudo, or to translate it literally, the “June lantern”, is an ancient tradition that has been passed down for decades in Kagoshima, gently lighting up Kagoshima with beautiful crafts of paper lanterns full of colorful pictures.
“Why is it held in July, but called the June lantern?”
If you have thought of this, we’ll let you know why!
Rokugatsudo is actually a series of events that follows the lunar calendar (generally it will be June in the old calendar during July). During this period, many shrines and temples in Kagoshima will hold their festivals on designated days, making summer an enjoyable period with lots of summer festivals!
As the people of Kagoshima preserve their traditions, the Rokugatsudo festivals has successfully became a seasonal summer event in Kagoshima, and is continuing to succeed.
It is held to comfort the spirits of the ancestors, and street vendors line the approach to the approach, showing a lively atmosphere.
If you are visiting the Kagoshima city on 15 and 16 July, you can find lanterns strung along the ropes on the shrines and temple grounds.
These lanterns are beautifully illustrated and has meaningful messages written, and are made of wooden sticks and Japanese paper. When they are lit, they emit warm, gentle lights that calms your mood.
By all means, why don’t you come visit Kagoshima and enjoy the Rokugatsudo lantern festival? It’s one of the biggest festivals in Kagoshima!
- Event Dates: 15 Jul – 16 Jul yearly
- Access: Take the city tram bound for JR Kagoshima-eki and get off at Izuro-dori station
- Telephone Number: +81-099-222-1820
- Address: 19-35 Terukuni-cho Kagoshima-shi Kagoshima-ken, 892-0841 Japan
- Entrance Fee: Free
- Gion Matsuri – A 2-Day Summer Festival in Kagoshima - September 26, 2020
- Terukuni Shrine Rokugatsudo Lantern Festival - September 22, 2020
- Lake Ikeda: Home of Japanese Loch Ness - September 18, 2020
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!
10 Basic Diving Hand Signals – Diving Survival
Communication is a form of interaction involved in our daily life. It helps us to better understand each other. That…
3 Netflix Japan Travel Documentary & Film – Save it for this MCO
Pasti ada yang merindui ingin kembali semula ke Jepun untuk merasa keindahan panorama Sapporo , ingin ‘immerse’ dengan kebudayaan moden…